After graduating with a degree in Psychology in 2000, Helen has worked with children and adults living in residential care who have complex needs including autistic spectrum disorder, learning disabilities, and severe challenging behaviours. During this time Helen completed a Post Graduate Diploma in Learning Difficulties (Profound, Severe and Complex).
In 2012 Helen returned to studying, and in 2013 completed a Masters degree in Applied Behaviour Analysis at Bangor University. In 2015, Helen gained Board Certification as a Behaviour Analyst.
Helen has experience working as an ABA therapist/lead therapist, and is now an ABA supervisor and consultant using the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis on home and school programmes with children aged from 2-12 years.
Helen is soon to complete training in order to be able to provide BCBA supervision. She also has professional clinical supervision from a Board Certified Behaviour Analyst on a monthly basis.
Professional training completed:
- Relationship Development Intervention and EHC Plans, Friends of Bright Futures School, Oldham. Z. Thompson & S. Bradbrook-Armit, 20 June 2015.
- Early Start Denver Model (ESDM) for young children with Autism: Advanced Course Workshop by E. Fulton, 17-19 June 2015.
- An Introduction in the Early Start Denver Model (ESDM) for young children with Autism by E. Fulton, Cardiff, 16 June 2015.
- Preparing as a Witness for a SEN & disability tribunal: the role of the ABA consultant, David Urani, 26 March 2015.
- Legislation & Guidance for children with special educational needs – EHC plans, Fiona Slomovic, 5 December 2014.
- An Introduction in the Early Start Denver Model (ESDM) for young children with Autism by E. Fulton and R. Riethman, Paris, France, 28 November 2014.
- Introduction to The Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills – Revised (The ABLLS-R) by Dr. J. W. Partington, Ph.D., BCBA-D. 7 November 2014.
- Introduction to The Assessment of Functional Living Skills (The AFLS) by Dr. J. W. Partington, Ph.D., BCBA-D. 6 November 2014.
- Social Thinking Workshop by Michelle Garcia Winner, 9-11th June 2014
- Introduction to Pivotal Response Treatment Level 1 by Dr. L. Koegel Ph.D. & Dr R. Koegel, Ph.D. 28-29 May 2014
- Introduction to Safeguarding Children, online course completed 13 May 2014 (High Speed Training)
- VB-MAPP & Essential for Living workshop with Dr Patrick McGreevy 25-26 April 2014
- A Behavioural Approach to Language Assessment and Intervention for Children with Autism (VB MAPP) by Mark L. Sundberg Ph.D., BCBA-D 1-2 April 2014
- Introduction to Verbal Behaviour Workshop by Vince Carbone, London, 21-23 October 2013
- Vineland Adaptive Behaviour Scale (VABS) training, Bangor University, Dr. G. Griffiths & Dr. D. Foran BCBA, October 2012
- Non-violent Crisis Prevention Interventions
- Signalong Tutor course
- PRO-ACT SCIP® UK Instructor
- Communication training
- Positive Behaviour Support
- Picture Exchange Communication System 2 day training course
- Therapeutic Crisis Interventions 5 day course·
- Person Centred Thinking Skills & Person Centred Facilitator Training
Helen has also undertaken training in Talk Tools, an oral placement therapy approach to developing speech, and have attended the following Talk Tools training courses:
- Talktools Feeding Therapy, A Sensory Motor Approach, 24-25 September 2014
- Talktools Level Two: Oral-Motor Therapy: Assessment and Programme Plan Development 18 -19 June 2014
- Talktools Level One: A Three Part Treatment Plan for Oral-Motor Therapy 16-17 June 2014
- TalkTools® Teaching Speech to Non-Vocal Individuals with Autism 1-2 October 2013
Overview of professional training:
- Introduction to Verbal Behaviour by Robert Schramm, MS, BCBA
- Effective Strategies for Helping your Child Cope with Anxiety presented by Charlotta Holenstein, BCBA
- Effective Strategies for Helping your Child Cope with Anxiety, Fears, and Phobias presented by Charlotta Holenstein, BCBA
- Strategies for Helping your Child through Puberty presented by Charlotta Holenstein, BCBA
- Developing Social Skills, Self-esteem and Relationship Skills by Alex Kelly
- Picture Exchange Communication System: An Introductory 2 day Workshop
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention
- Intensive Interaction
- Advanced Social Stories
- Team Teach Training
- Pivotal Response Training: Level 1 Certified
- Michelle Garcia Winner, Social Thinking
- Assessment of Functional Living Skills, Dr. Partington, BCBA
- Early Start Denver Model, Introductory Course
- Early Start Denver Model, Advanced Course
She has also undertaken training inTalk Tools, an oral placement therapy approach to developing speech, and has attended the following Talk Tools training courses:
- Level 1 Talk Tools: A Three Part Treatment Plan for Oral Placement Therapy
- Level 2 Talk Tools: Assessment and Programme Plan Development.
- Talk Tools Feeding Therapy: A Sensory Motor Approach
She has also presented at the following conferences/university:
- 2011 – International Association of Behaviour Analysis, Granada, Spain
- 2008 – European Association of Behaviour Analysis, Barcelona, Spain.